Thursday, June 21, 2007

Chalkbrood update

It seems that our chalkbrood problem is mostly behind us. I've only seen two or three "mummies" over the last couple days, in contrast to the dozens and dozens of them I was seeing previously.

One thing chalkbrood does tell us is that the queen has obviously been laying eggs since we installed the colony: no eggs--no larva, no larva--no chalkbrood. So at least we know she's functioning. Unfortunately it doesn't tell us much about her health or the robustness of here lineage. Some beekeepers re-queen when they find chalkbrood, but I'm not convinced this is a good strategy from my reading.

The bees continue to consume sugar syrup at a steady pace, about a quart every 3 or 4 days.

Exciting News!

I've been talking to the kind folks over at the Chicago Honey Co-Op, and they have offered to let me volunteer when they work in the apiary. This will be a great opportunity to learn from the experts, and to see what healthy, productive, well-established hives are supposed to look like. Right now, our little hive is the only one I've seen up close, and when we open the hive and inspect the frames, I don't yet have a good sense of what to look for as indicators of health--or distress.

Storms are on tap for today. Take cover, little bees!

No comments: